[Public-list] Bronze NPS thread pipe cap source?

Michael dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sun Feb 25 15:52:18 PST 2007

Hi Rachel

...Or perhaps I should say Hi Neighbor (production line wise). Anyway, you
clearly have been studying closely past list entries, so you are probably
aware; If you are going to only do one thing, change the raw water intake
(engine) thru hull. The things apparently were made by Whitby, two pieces
kind of peened together (I can't remember the construction of the
others-that's the one that fell apart in my hands. Kind of got my
attention). Presumably it gets the most water flow of all the thru hulls and
so is most susceptible to erosion, electrolysis, etc. It will sink the boat.
It's also the cheapest of the bunch to replace-1/2", I think.

FWIW I have changed 'em all out and used ball valves instead of traditional
seacocks. I also went through a period of trying to eliminate hull piercings
as much as possible; using a dremel drill to make the holes concave
(relative to the thickness of the hull) and then filling with 'glass cloth
and polyester resin. Worked well. Bottom line, though, is I only eliminated
one thru hull long term-the faucet in the galley.

MichaelGrosh