[Public-list] Happy new owner

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Fri Jan 26 07:55:59 PST 2007

Hi folks,

I've been on the e-mail list for a couple of years, but haven't said
much as I hadn't found a boat.  Now I'm posting to say that I'm the
happy new owner of a 1967 Alberg 30, #221.  Yay!  She's spent her whole
life in Michigan, but got her first taste of salt Wednesday as she
moved to her new home on the lower Chesapeake........ on I-80 in a
snowstorm.  Yep, it was road salt <laugh>

I was nervous as a hen between the time I first saw the boat
<swooooon!> on January 8th, until her cradle touched the ground
yesterday after the move (I had her put on the hard for now so I can
sort out a few things).  Whew, safely in her new home.   There was a
lot to think about and do to get her ready for the big trip.   And I'm
still shaking out the adrenaline from the whole thing (and pinching
myself).

Until I bought her, #221 had been owned by the same fellow who bought
her new in 1967 (and took wonderful care of her --- thank you, Ken!).
I hope I can be as good a steward as he and his family were.

I'm going to have a million questions, I'm sure.  Tops on my list is
finding/eliminating the source of strong gasoline fumes belowdecks, and
removing the VC-17 bottom paint so that I can apply an ablative that
the Chesapeake barnacles will not laugh quite as hard at.  Getting in
the water will be great, but of course there are some things (such as
bottom paint) that make sense to take care of now, as long as she's out
already.

It's neat to have such a wonderful owners' group and I'm glad to join
you as a fellow A-30 owner :-)

--- Rachel
Alberg 30, #221
Lower Chesapeake