[Public-list] Old Atomic 4 Engine Mounts

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 31 15:51:51 PST 2007

All -

Well, like several others, I pulled the motor out of #229 last weekend.  One surprise was that the existing motor mounts do not have any adjustment on them.  Basically, they consist of 4 "Z"-shaped pieces of metal.  In the front, these are set on top of a stack of rubber pieces and bolted to the engine bed.  The engine is bolted directly on top of that.  the back is the same except that the "Z" is reversed so the motor is lower.

Has anyone else found a similar set-up on their boat?  If so, how do you align the engine?  I can't believe that it has sat like this for 40 years, but my cutlass bearings don't wear out very fast or on one side.

Any ideas?

David Swanson
Strayaway Child #229