[Public-list] Alberg 35 Ericson hull

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 1 08:25:01 PST 2007

Jon,
  I sailed on one from Ft Myers down to Key West two years ago.  This was a 1964 Pearson - Alberg 35.  The skipper had a Cape Horn self steering gear built for the A 30 modified by the mfg. to fit into the A 35.  I was quite interested to see the installation and to be on-board for the initial sea trials to adjust the steering gear so I offered to crew on the Key West part of his trip to Panama.  During the first day I was not too impressed with the steering gear.  At the end of the second day we sailed on an overnight run from Everglades City to Key West.  The wind gradually built from nil to 30 knots with seas building from flat to 8 ft.  We were under full main only and the steering gear worked admirably well.  Sometime during the nite the sea rudder of the steering gear kicked up, (hit a lobster pot?), with only seconds to grab the tiller before we rounded up.

  I liked the boat. It was well built. More room than the A 30 but not as nice aesthetically.  This owner purchased the boat to replace his A 30 demolished in a hurricane in Granada.  At the time I was on-board he had no more time at sea in the boat than I had.  This was the first off shore trip for all in this new/old boat.  He had sailed his A 30 down the East Coast from Maine in some pretty rough weather and was very impressed with the performance of that boat.  In comparison he hadn't had enough time in the A 35 to judge the difference. To me the motion was the same and I suppose that the larger boat would be more seaworthy.

  Do you have any photos of the Ericson boat?  What I noticed about the Pearson boat vs the Whitby boat is that the Pearson had a more rounded styling of the deckhouse, a moulded in toe rail and better fastenings for the chain plates.

  If you would like I could try to find the owners email address and you could address him personally.....................I assume that he made it to Panama.  He had Circumnavigated at least once so I thought he would be a good judge of a boat's ability to handle the open sea.

  He used to chat on this forum so he might chime in...................Captain Bob are you out there?

  Michael #133

Jonathan Adams <laughing_gull at verizon.net> wrote:
  Does anyone have any knowledge or comment on the A35 that was built by Ericson? Apparantly the same hull as the Pearson 35, but a deckhouse by Bruce King.

Looking for comment - solid decks? hull? experiences people have had? Is 5.5 ft in the Chesapeake just too much? etc.

One has come on the market and I am tempted ... I know sacreligious on this list-serve, but it is still an Alberg!

JA
Laughing Gull
197