[Public-list] Sailrite Dodger

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 08:51:56 PST 2007

Richard-

Thanks for the thoughts. I really appreciate your insight on this. Based on
the photos you sent, it looks like you did a phenomenal job. 70 hours is a
little less than what I am budgeting for the project. I had actually been
thinking more like 80-100.

Before I undertake the dodger project I am going to build a jib which was
ordered in December and being shipped today. I am expecting that job to take
about 40 hours. I'm not going to start the dodger until after the jib is
done.

I am not doing this for economics. I want to know how to make and repair
sails and canvas, because I want to understand how to do it. I feel like
it's an important skill to have in order to be fully self-sufficient as a
sailor. Also, I feel like going through the process of building my own jib
will demystify the black art of sailmaking somewhat. Perhaps I am a fool for
thinking this, but in the end, I think that completing the project will
really help me to better understand how to be an informed customer when it
comes to buying sails. In the past, I have just been kind of...whatever the
sailmaker says...sounds good. I don't like the fact that I don't understand
the whole sailmaking process and the variables involved. So that's what I'm
working on changing.

Your boat looks awesome. I hope that someday my boat looks that good!

I hope to see you at the annual meeting this weekend!

Kind regards,

J Bergquist