[Public-list] Anchor Locker Hatch

richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com richard.hazlegrove at wachovia.com
Tue Jan 9 11:11:24 PST 2007

Dan,  Mike,
I made the forepeak hatch 5-6 years ago using kit from West Marine.  It
included the louvers and frame pieces.  The two side frames have angled
slots routed in the inside edges to accept the louvers.  The four corner
joints were glued and mechanically fastened on the back side using
countersunk angled holes cut with a pockethole jig.  It was not too
difficult to build once you got the corner angles correct and the exact
length and angle cut  for each of the louvers.  It's probably a little
easier to make the hatch into a rectangle but since nothing else on our
boats is square why start here.  I personally think it looks a little
nicer than a simple rectangle.   If you look carefully you can see a small
pneumatic lift on the left inside of the hatch to hold it open and a
finger latch (like our lockers) to click it shut.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433
Mobjack Bay, VA.