[Public-list] pulpit

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Jan 10 14:28:55 PST 2007

Hi JB,

Here I respectfully disagree with our learned colleague Gord, at of course,
my peril ; )

Your concerns are, in my opinion, well founded. After all, lifelines should
never be relied upon for more than steadying oneself. I think you will have
footing issues which can be negated by putting the attachment point down
low. Modern standards are used because they are convenient to modern boats
which sheet inside the lifelines - Albergs don't. Lets face it, no lifelines
on pleasure boats are really even close to high enough or strong enough. I
know some will disagree, but I think you might want to consider getting a
tube bender and straight SS tubing and bending your own - its a question of
aesthetics which is subjective of course - but that is the direction I would
go in your circumstance.

I doubt you'd be happy with the sharp angled SS modern jobs - again,
aesthetics.

As for new feet, there are plenty about on the used market and used
equipment chandleries and early C&C's used a similar, but not identical base
( then again the round ones might be identical). Make sure they are bronze,
not Zamac or other such crap and if they need re chroming that is not very
expensive to get done - try for triple plating if you can find a shop to do
it.

Hope this is a help.

Cheers,

JB (too)