[Public-list] "O" Rings

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Fri Jan 12 13:33:23 PST 2007

John Boor wrote:
> Does a 1969 A30 have any "O" rings on the origional water, waste or Gas
> fuel filler screw caps.  Mine does not and have never had a problem with
> water intrusion.

Our 1973 A30 certainly has an O-ring on the gas fill.  I've replaced it
a couple times.  I don't think I've checked the water fill.  And our
boat didn't originally have a waste fill. ;-)

> On another tack I have an Atomic4 with fresh water cooling and was
> wondering what are the pro's and con's of a higher thermostat eg 160f
> thermostat.

The engine will run more efficiently at the higher temperature.  The
lower temp is needed for raw-water cooled engines to keep the sulfates
(or is it phosphates, I forget) from plating out inside the engine.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash