[Public-list] Thinking about buying an Alberg ... sorry very long post

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Jan 15 07:47:45 PST 2007

Hi Sam -

I will look for a picture that shows it.

I hated the wheel at first, partly from prejudice against wheels and partly
because the Alberg wheel is small and the put the ped so far forward.

However, I have got not only used to it, I kinda like it now.  The small
diameter is forced on us because a large one would prevent the cockpit
lockers from opening...but I have learned that it is quite comfortable to
grasp one spoke and steer the boat by that.  You don't have to give it much
of a turn to get a nice deflection of the rudder.  The cable and quadrant
system that connects it to the rudder allows me a nice amount of feedback -
I can feel how much load is on the rudder.

I still don't like the forward placement and someday will correct that.
Whitby put the wheels forward to put the helmsman about where he would be if
he/she were using a tiller - but that puts the steering right in the way of
the sheet winches.  Our boats are quite sensitive to weight in the stern, so
I see what they were thinking but the very poor ergonomics of jamming
everybody forward just don't make sense even in light of getting the weight
of the helmsman 20" or so forward.  The only nice thing about having the
wheel forward is the fact that you can use a full length tiller behind it,
if you ever have to use an emergency tiller.  I actually prefer not to have
the compass on the ped top - with it in the usual position you can steer
from the side where it is nicer to sit, and still see the lubber's line.

Whitlock steering is superior in engineering but I think the customer
service and delivery situation has plummeted since Lewmar took them over.  I
have no particular complaints about the Edson outfit I have.

Gord #426