[Public-list] Pulling out an Atomic 4

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 16 07:31:29 PST 2007

?David,
  I am just reading the book 'One less traveled' written by an Alberg 30 owner of twelve years.  He describes removing the Atomic 4 using the boats boom and his Jeep.  The basics were. Atomic four weighs about 320 pounds.  Purchased a pulley from a hardware store rated at 500 pounds.  Lashed the pulley to the boom.  Supported the boom along it's length with the topping lift, main and jib halyards, i.e., three points. Ran a 5/8" anchor rode thru the pulley on the boom. Attached the rode thimble to the engine lifting eye with a shackle.  Tied the bitter end to the bumper of my Jeep.  Padding was used on companionway to prevent damage to the boat's interior and bridge deck.  Helper inside boat used to guide engine forward and out of boat.  Jeep driver slowly backed up to raise engine.  Once engine was clear of deck helper jumped to the ground beside boat and used line tied to engine to hold engine away from the side of the boat while Jeep driver pulled forward and slowly
 lowered engine to the ground.

  You know how "historians" are always puzzled with how the Pyramids in Egypt were built?

  This is all quite simple. Rollers, levers and inclined planes.

  What is described above is all quite feasible and in fact was done to remove an Atomic 4 engine.  One has to be confidant of their tackle on their topping lift and halyards. Also consider how well the boat is supported on the hard. I would also use the spinnaker halyard if I had one fitted.  The more support points on the boom the better.  Bending or breaking the boom would NOT be a good thing. You might want to replace the moving Jeep with a stationary vehicle and use a tackle to gain a bit more control.

  Personally, I have done a lot of heavy work by myself by using GREAT CARE and mechanical advantage and working SLOWLY.

  So I can say that the answer is Yes, but one can't be foolish about it.  Take the necessary precautions and know something about what you are doing, Duh!

  Oh yes, I absolve myself of any responsibility for any disastrous outcome of your attempt to remove your Atomic four using the boom, Smiles..............................

  You don't want to pour 2 quarts of curing Epoxy down in the blige!!!!   If you want a coating then reach down and brush it on.  Put the brish on a stick if you need to.   The heat generated is based on the collective volume/mass of the Epoxy.  Brush on a thin coat and no problem.  Pour in 2 quarts and you have a heat issue.  Anything more than a brush applied coat provides no advantage to what you are trying to achieve.  I would rather use a light colored two part Polyurethane paint than Epoxy.  Epoxy works best as a thin layer adhesive, that is what it was designed to do.  The light colored paint will be a guide/indicator to a clean bilge during future cleanings.

  Michael

Amy & David Swanson <zira at bellsouth.net> wrote:
  All -

I am going to be removing the Atomic 4 from my old-style A30 in a few weeks. I have read the seminar notes on the web site, but I have a few questions:
1. I understand the idea behind the second block & tackle pulling backwards on the engine, but what is the "points aft" that it is hooked to? I am 125 miles from the boat right now but I cannot think of anything strong enough to hook this block & tackle to back there.
2. Has anyone used the boom top lift out and off-load the engine once it is off its mounts?
3. My bilge is really nasty, & I plan to clean it out while the motor is out. Any suggestions of what to use to get the old oil, grease, and dirt out without melting the fiberglass or blowing up the boat?
4. Once I have cleaned out the bilge, I was thinking of sealing the bottom with epoxy. I have only ever worked with small batches before, & I know large batches generate a lot of heat. Would there be a heat problem dumping 1 or 2 quarts of epoxy down there?

David Swanson
Strayaway Child #229