[Public-list] Happy new owner and gas smell

Jock McClees mccleesj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 09:08:45 PST 2007

Congratulations.
Re gas fumes. I had an Alberg and two years ago bought a Cal 36 built in
1966. Last year I suddenly started smelling gas fumes. I pulled the gas tank
and it was weeping gas. Typically galvanized tanks rust out at the bottom
since water is heavier than gas. I now have a new tank. Yours is about the
right age to be failing if it has never been replaced.

Assuming you need a new tank, you have probably seen the emails about
fibreglass tanks. I would get an aluminum tank. Florida Tank in Florida,
(you can do an internet search to find them) had great prices.
Jock McClees