[Public-list] Happy new owner

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Fri Jan 26 13:59:22 PST 2007

Dan,

Geez, I'm sorry to hear about your boat fire - how awful.

I'm not sure about all metals, but I know that stainless steel is
currently an approved metal for gasoline tanks (if the fittings are on
top), just by-the-by.   I'm not fond of the idea of plastic because
from what I can tell they are normally not baffled, and I tend to think
that plastic can "work" from the motion, no matter how much you
stabilize it.  But I guess the first thing is to determine if my tank
is the problem, or if it is something else.

I'm completely willing to accept that my tank leaks, if it does, and
tear it out.  But I'm a bit frightened to think that it could leak
without it being detectable -- how can you then trust *any* tank? How
can you test it? Do you know that your tank caused the fire as opposed
to something else?  I'm very interested to get this figured out, so I'm
all ears.  I'm certainly not trying to save money on any part of the
fuel system, thereby short-changing safety.

--- Rachel