[Public-list] Thru hulls

Jock McClees mccleesj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 31 04:53:27 PST 2007

I sent this 2 days ago and it seems to be lost in the ether. Here is my
response for what it is worth.

I launched my boat last summer after replacing a couple of through hulls and
thinking the others were fine. I opened the engine intake valve and water
came in around the base where it went through the hull. Took it back out of
the water immediately and undid the thru-hull. Found out that the caulk had
turned to powder and why it hadn't leaked sooner is a mystery. I ended up
replacing all the thru hulls to be safe and found others where the cauld was
just powder.

Something for you to think about when working on your boats.

Jock McClees