[Public-list] Old Atomic 4 Engine Mounts

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Wed Jan 31 17:33:46 PST 2007

The older boats were retrofitted if they had A4's in them. Original I
believe was the Grey Marine Engine. Which some still have and is as much a
cult engine if not more than the A4.

The newer hulls had the liner and the A4 was mounted directly to rials
fitted for that engine. Later probably fitted for Diesels.

The way to Align the motor - Atomic 4:

Get it into a reasonable location as close as flush up against the prop
shaft as possible.

Using the 4 mount points use shims - some people use metal shims that are
mm thick. Others use a rubber mount to help tune the positioning of the
engine. I use shims.

BY using the 4 mount points you can adjust the engine up and down so that
the space is equal all the way around the the prop shaft flange and the
engine flange connector. Use consecutively smaller feeler gauges. Try to
get down to .030 or less .020. before tightening/screwing the 4 bolts to
the motor.
The trick is ... opposites attract... the mounts to the front of the motor
work on the top... the mounts in the back work the bottom.

This task takes much time and patience. Use a set of sockets and grip
wrenches and a second set of hands if necessary to help.

If you get it right you will have little if no vibration from the motor...
if you don't .... you'll know it... also if you don't you can scarr the
shaft and eventually break the shaft. so besure and take your time. If you
have more questions ... definitely ask.

Also see don Moyers site.
--
C.B. Currier