[Public-list] Thinking about buying an Alberg ... sorry very long post

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 16 12:34:30 PST 2007

Sam,
  Take your time.  There are really nice Alberg 30's out there.  The very best help in conjunction with the information on the list is to look at several boats.  To be very honest, by the time I had looked at 7 or 8 boats carefully I knew much better what I was looking at and for in a 'decent' boat.  If you can scrape up the 15K to begin with, I believe that you will more than pay back in dividends of time saved the money for the initial purchase.

  Even if it costs you 2K to get a good boat back to your home marina, I believe that you will still be ahead of the game.

  Welcome to this wonderful group and to 'Albergland'.
  Michael #133

Sam Stone <svs3 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Just a quick note to the list,

I have received a large number of very thoughtful and detailed replies
to my post. I am extremely grateful and it has given me a lot of food
for thought.
The biggest nut I have to crack is the eternal question of time, effort,
money it may take to bring a project up to a given standard vs. buying a
boat in better shape and in need of fewer upgrades. Also, of course, is
the question of transporting the boat to where I am. There simply aren't
a lot of A30 in the TX, LA area. Until I actually see the A30 in
question and assess it condition much of this is a little hypothetical.
But I believe I am best served by thinking through this and other issues
as best I can in advance. I have a lot of thinking and research to do in
the coming weeks.

I hope am not overstating it when I say that it is resources like this
list and very active owner association and the communal knowledge it
representsthat has helped this classic boat keep its value. Of course, a
classic, seaworthy and seakindly design by Carl Alberg, the initial high
quality build by Whitby, and making 700 or so boats in a 25 year run
doesn't, either!

Thanks a ton for all the great info so far. Please keep the great info
coming.

Sam Stone