[Public-list] Replacing old through-hulls

Philip Bartlett pbartlett at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 1 21:54:50 PDT 2007

I just finished replacing all the old thru hulls and seacocks on Windward.
Its a job I have been planning to tackle for the last couple of years and I
am glad it is done. The engine intake thruhull was behind a screw on screen
on the outside of the hull and when I removed the screen the head of the
mushroom fell off!

Getting the old thru hulls out was the easy part. I removed the seacocks and
nut and used a puller made from a length of threaded rod inserted through
the thru hull. On the outside of the hull I used a U shaped frame made from
2X4 scraps to straddle the thruhull. On the inside I put a fender washer on
the threaded rod to prevent it going back through the thruhull. With a
helper I tightened the nuts on the ends of the threaded rod and the
thruhulls came right out.

The worst part of the job was reconnecting the cockpit drains with no room
to swing a wrench. Its done now but I left some knuckle skin in the bilge.

Philip