[Public-List] Holding Tank Questions (John Riley)

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Tue Jul 24 18:25:06 PDT 2007

Greetings,
I hagve the same head with a 15 gal holding tank under the stbd
  v-berth, just the other side of the bulkhead. I have two vent hoses
  (clear poly, about 3/4 in. dia) that I have run back into the head
  and up into the dorade over the head. This seems to work fine. (They
  say that plenty of ventilation will moderate head odors. I think I'd
  agree, for the most part.)

It's rigged for over-sides pumping out (legal in Canada) with a Y
   valve and a Gusher pump.

We probably get a few days worth of use between pump outs. Depends on
   how much water you flush with when finished, whether or not you
   mostly pee overside, etc. I can open a 6" cap in the tank top to
   monitor its fill rate (icky!) but having some other way of visually
   assessing fulllness would be very handy.

When the tank is full the head ppump action stiffens up noticably--
    don't push beyond that or you'll be sorry. Pressuring the system
    is asking for a bust-out, if you know what I mean.

Good luck-- and remember-- no TP down the head, this in order to avoid
   clogging. I've taken it apart once (when replaceing through-hull
   fittings) and it's no phun!!

Best of Luck,
Randy Katz
$249