[Public-List] Holding Tank Questions

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:31:21 PDT 2007

Hey John,

The tank works great - we have never had any problems with seawater
infiltration through the vents. It is important to have 2 vent lines to
provide an exchange of air and to create an aerobic environment in the tank.
Odor comes from bacteria that grows in an anaerobic environment, not the
contents of the tank, so the vents have to be clear to provide that
exchange. Hoses should be the higest qualtiy possible because odor can
permeate the hoses. I use the double-wall rubber sanitation hoses ($10/ft.)
but they last a long time.

As for the capacity - with two people aboard a 14 gallon tank will give us
about 4-5 days between pump outs.

I like Jim Davis' suggestion about vinegar and will try that. I use a
product called KO (available at West Marine) that help prevent odors from
forming. My tank has been installed for about 10 years and is clean and
fresh smelling.

Mike Lehman