[Public-list] Bulwark Additon

Mick Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 11 11:31:48 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I'm currently preparing our boat for off-shore use and am replacing
rotten toe rails with bulwarks.  There are a few issues I'd like some input on.

I'm wondering about replacing the aluminum rivets securing the
hull/deck joint.  It seems the group recommends changing these for
machine screws.  The toe rail bolts also reinforce this joint though
there will be less bolts with the new bulwarks as it will be secured
to the deck on brackets at 20" spacing.  Was the deck/hull joint
designed to be secured by the rivets only?

The outside of the hull/deck joint will now be exposed.  I'd like to
seal the cracks where what appears to be a thin strip of epoxy filler
that rounds off the joint.  Cracks are difficult to fill as any flex
in the joint will open the cracks again.  Does anyone have any
experience in tidying up the joint in situations where the toe rail
is no longer used?

Finally, anyone have any suggestions for the best lumber to use for
the bulwarks.  I'm looking at north american hardwoods and like the
idea of white ash.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Mick