[Public-list] hull thickness/transducers

The Rochets rochet at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 11 22:26:40 PDT 2007

Thank you for your comments, Mike, Glenn and Don.

  It sounds like usually the thickness of the hull may not be a big
problem for in-hull transducers, beyond a certain amount of signal
loss. Mike's setup confirms the under-the-berth as a location that
works. I am intrigued by Don's setup--a transducer aiming forward at
a low angle is definitely a good idea; it's nice to know how much
water there is AHEAD of the boat. I am just not sure how much room
there is under my V-berth, aft of the water tank, but I am definitely
going to check it out. I am wondering whether your oil bath attempt
did not work because the hull is thicker at that location, Don. From
the hull plans, it looks like that would be right on top of the
beginning of the keel, and quite a bit thicker.

Bernard  #608