[Public-list] public-list Digest, Vol 1009, Issue 1

dans dans at stmktg.com
Thu Jun 28 17:45:48 PDT 2007

Regarding through hulls
---------------------------
I did not follow the earlier part of this thread, but if this wasn't said -- I recall discussion on this years ago. The originals were basically not seaworthy to begin with. I replaced all of mine (which were not original) except the heavy cast bronze cockpit drain valves in the engine compartment, and I did replace one of those hoses about 10 years ago (exhaust hose is what fits those, by the way).

Don't forget the cooling water through hull in the engine compartment and the plug where the head had a pump out valve originally. If in ANY DOUBT AT ALL, replace them all, its cheap insurance. Evidently, quite a number of sailboats are lost due to failure of these old valves.

It's also a good idea to carry a bag of those little softwood cones that plug the hole of a valve fails and a hose breaks.

My $0.02,

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher Of The Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

Sent via the WebMail system at stmktg.com