[Public-list] Replacing old through-hulls

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sat Jun 30 11:21:29 PDT 2007

Thanks, Dan,

I did just replace the head overboard drain through hull. Digging it
     out was a bit of a chore, but what impressed me most was the old
     sealant--- by this point in time it was like dried out, doughy
     putty. It put me in mind to replace all the old through-hulls!
For removal of the old: A chisel served for hacking out surrounding
    sealant and cutting off accessible bits of the backing plate
    (plywood). I used a 3/8" (or so) drill for drilling/grindout out
    sealant and wood under the retaining nut. A grinder with a cutoff
    wheel made cutting through the through-hull bolt easy. Finally the
    whole thing came loose.
I epoxied in a new backing plate (plywood) and will tomorrow install
     the new through hull ($30) and new seacock ($130 for 1.25" Groco
     at WM) with 5200.
While I'd dreaded this job for some years, it wasn't really that hard
   (so far).

A word on through hull fittings-- some have a bit of a "dish" at the
   back of the flare at the root of the threads. I like this version
   (the old one was flush) as it provides a cavity for the 5200
   sealant to fill (as well as along the threads running through the
   hull, of course.)

QUESTON:
It seems (???) that with the flush kind of through hull it would be
   good not to screw it in all the way but to leave space between the
   flare and the hull for 5200? This is assuming there's a
   screwed/bolted seacock on the other end. Yess???

Good sailing,
Randy Katz
Seattle/Bellingham