[Public-list] 10hp Diesel?

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:15:36 PDT 2007

If you look at the performance curve of an Atomic 4 running at 1400 RPM, you
will notice that, at that speed, the output is about 10 HP. A couple of
things to note - #1. the Atomic 4 is running at 1:1 which means 1400 RPM at
the engine is 1400 at the prop. Ususally diesel engines have a 2:1 reduction
gear, so to get 1400 RPM prop speed you need to run the engine at 2800 RPM.
This will give you 5-6 knts of boat speed. #2. On most diesels it is
recommended to run at 75-80% of full throttle which would give you about 7-8
HP effectively. Depending on how you use your boat this may be a bit
underpowered.

Mike Lehman