[Public-list] snubber

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Tue Jun 26 09:18:07 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 05:25:56PM -0400, Bill Ydel wrote:
> I get a fair amount wind in my slip in the Charleston Harbor and would like
> to keep snubbers on my dock lines to absorb some the shock on my cleats.
> My experience with snubbers from West Marine is that they last less then one
> year in the Charleston sun.
> Does anyone have a source for snubbers that are a little more durable??  OR
> A boat down the dock from me is using small fenders as snubbers; I am going
> to try that next unless "The List" comes up with another brilliant idea.

One suggestion I've heard that isn't terribly durable, but is free, is to
fold a blown bicycle inner tube over itself a couple of times, and
tie/wrap it around the mooring line. IME bike shops are quite happy to
hand over as many blown tubes as you could think to ask for (though I've
only picked up tubes to recycle them into gaskets; they are vulcanized
butyl rubber after all).

Cheers,
Kris
Candy Cane #583