[Public-list] Alberg 30 Mast Plate

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Thu Mar 15 12:06:07 PDT 2007

Recaulking the ports is not a hard job. Excellent directions with pictures are located on the website. I thought the hardest part was making sure I did not bend the aluminum frames when I removed them and making sure that they were absolutely clean when I replaced them. Go slow and be very patient and you should be fine on this part. It very helpful if you have a helper on the job - I "proved" that the job can be done single handedly, but I do not recommend it. Another wrinkle I remember was that the fiberglass around the ports had delaminated and need to be reattached. If you follow the directions to a T, the ports will not/should not leak when you finish the job. Mine didn't, and I am not a pro at this kind of work.  I can not help you on the other two jobs. I do not have the first problem and I am about to do the second  job and will be interested in the responses you get on this.

Good luck.

>>> "cathie & john coultis" <zoocrew2 at sympatico.ca> 3/15/2007 3:55 PM >>>
At the top of our "to-do" list before the boat hits the water this Spring,
is working on the mast of our Alberg 30.     As I am thankfully aware,
Alberg 30 owners hold a wealth of experience and knowledge which is
generously shared soooooo I have three questions - 1.  Has anyone replaced
the aluminum mast plate and if so, can you please provide details.  2.  What
is the best bedding/sealant compound for redoing the following:  pulpit,
stanchions, gib/genny tracks, the thru-deck wiring.  3.  All the ports are
leaking now but we are hoping to be able to re-use the exising ports and
re-seal them. Other then leaking, they are in good shape considering they're
original from 1971 and have never been touched. Can someone who has tackled
this project also please provide some insight.  Many thanks.

Cathie
Scotch Mist II #448