[Public-list] #521 Is Home

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Tue May 1 06:06:22 PDT 2007

After a LONG two month wait for a window in my work schedule, I finally
got up to deliver #521 to her new home in SC.  A friend of mine went
with me so we could push straight through, and a third friend from the
area where she was rode the first 4 hours to provide some very welcome
local knowledge.

We untied from the marina on the New River at 0530 Saturday.  After four
hours of motorsailing, we tied up at New River Marina to drop off our
local "pilot" and get some fuel.  Then it was under way again South
along the ICW.

We motorsailed the ICW for 13 hours, slipped through Snows Cut right at
dusk and hit the Cape Fear just after dark.  The Cape Fear River at
night is like a football stadium with everyone taking flash photographs
- flashing lights everywhere, marks, shore lights, range markers for
multiple channels, etc.   After about 2.5 hours of intense
concentration, we made it through and cleared the inlet at 1030 via the
unlit Western Bar Channel.

Offshore, we initially had about 15 kts W wind, seas 3-4 ft and temp in
the low 60s or upper 50's.  It was a beautiful night - 7/8 moon, not a
cloud in the sky.  We stood generally SW across Long Bay toward the
mouth of Winyah Bay.  After 17 hours of sailing, we arrived at the
Winyah Bay sea buoy at 16:30 Sunday.  We had some rough conditions at
the mouth and took three tries getting the proper line coming into the
channel between the jetties (we had a wicked side-setting current and
flukey winds right there), but did finally make it.  Motored up the bay
and tied alongside at 1848 to spend the night.  We were underway 38
hours, which includes that one 45 minute fuel stop.

Monday, I got my mooring situated and laid.

I am very pleased with the boat.  She handles herself extremely well and
LOVES to sail.  We were holding 6+ kts closehauled in 15 kts of wind
without problem under main and genny.  For a short period mid day, we
had light air, about 7 kts or so, and she held 4 kts.

She was worth every penny.

Fair Winds.

--
John