[Public-list] water line/boot stripe

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Thu May 10 04:07:17 PDT 2007

John,

There have been discussions on this topic on "the page" in the past
primarily related to needing to raise the stripe aft to compensate for the
tendency for the boat to "squat" (much to the chagrin of Mr. Laco).  My boat
had a line etched in the gel coat for the boot stripe but I am not sure I
trust it.  I need to do mine and had planned to use a lazar level.  My boat
is on a trailer so, I can adjust the tongue height to get the boat level and
mark the stripe with the lazar level.  My thinking is if I knew the
freeboard height at the bow and stern I could make the bottom of the boot
stripe a few inches (say 3") above that.

So the questions are, is this a logical approach and, if so, would a few
owners with their boats in the water (dah) mind measuring the freeboard at
the ends of their boats?  Assuming bow fittings and taffrails vary in
height, it might be best to subtract those heights so the dimensions are
adjusted to deck height.  It would probably be best to take measurements
with "normal" equipment and provisions on board but no people, IE measure
from a dock and/or dingy.  If the dimensions turn out to be close (or
variances explainable; loaded down for cruising), we could solve the problem
once and for all.

What does everybody think?

Roger