[Public-list] Engine options - diesel v. gas

Dan Landrigan dlandrigan at landrigan.net
Tue May 15 12:08:27 PDT 2007

Thanks for the information. That's what I'm trying to get a handle on, the cost of the diesel vs. doing some repair with the A4.

  I like the reliability of a diesel, but just not sure how much I want to blow on it.

  Dan

"C.B. Currier" <cbcurrier at spinrx.com> wrote:
  Does not Sound like you have to get rid of the A4 just sounds like a
rebuild is in the works. Poor Compression might = Head gasket or rings.
But with the rattle and the oil consumption ... sounds like rings and
bearings n valves.
In that case you are looking at $2000 minimum in parts to rebuild the motor.
>From that you are thus likely to get a few - 3-5 years of totally trouble
free use. and up to 10 or more years if well maintained. This is a good
investment in a motor for the Alberg 30. A new Diesel will run $5000 + for
the engine and atleast another $5000 for the installation and
miscellaneous things.

I say do the rebuild... you will really be impressed with the quality of
the motor after. And the diesel has the same quality of preformance. 3-5
yeas of no trouble but then you will have fuel pump issues and or if well
maintained 10 + of trouble free boating.

If you are in the Annapolis area then I suggest you have a professional
look at the motor. Vosbury is the best Pro at Atomic 4's here. See what he
has to say. Moyermarine is the best supplier for parts and there are a
number of shops in Annapolis who could do the rebuild fairly affordably if
you source the parts. Woodys auto repair is one.

Getting the motor out is not an issue either there are quite a few around
who know how to do thos & could help out on a saturday or sunday.

Keep us posted.

--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57 (Atomic 4) Put 2 in so far

Dan Landrigan wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
> We're dangerously close to concluding that the Atomic 4 in our Alberg
30
> needs replacing. Poor compression, steady oil consumption and an ominous
rapping sound are the symptoms.

> As we wade into this, I'd like to hear from others about the pros and
> cons of installing a diesel engine in place of the Atomic 4. I don't
know if it matters, but ours is an older boat (from 1966).