[Public-list] cockpit coamings.

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 28 06:33:46 PDT 2007

I agree with Michael about the use of polysulphide sealant and his theory about flexible caulking. The previous volunter boat manager on Emotional Rescue #303 used a more inflexible sealant. As some of our club members were tieing the bitter end of the spring lines to the cleats on the coaming, rather than those on the deck, the surges finally broke the bond between the coaming and the deck. Water ran into the cockpit seats beneath the coaming. I changed to polysulphide and no troubles. Ed. Schroeder

  Michael Connolly <crufone at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Pete,
I believe that Polysulphide caulks are the material of choice for that application. They are flexible and good sealants and easily allow the coamings to be removed in the future for refinishing or rebeding. Since no strength is required from the caulk/sealant (the fasteners provide the mechanical support) a stronger adhesive type caulk like a polyurthane is not necessary and would in my book be overkill.

My thoughts on the idea of rebeding is to use flexible materials that can more easily be removed for future maintenance rather than try to rebed the fitting forever. The idea that 5200 works to secure everything forever bugs me.

First off almost nothing is forever, especially on a boat. Secondly, deck fittings should be removed and inspected and rebed periodically. That is just part of a sound preventative maintenance schedule. Most would like to believe that the bedding coumpound will last for thirty years. That is just not the case. It makes more sense to remove the fitting and inspect the unit every five years or so and to inspect the fasteners and then rebed. Especially if you are in a saltwater environment the fittings might look fine but the fasteners could all be corroded and weakened.

My two cents,
Michael

Pete Howell
wrote:
I am getting ready to reinstall the cockpit coamings. One of the guys
at the boatyard recommended that I use polysulfite (sp?) caulk to
re-seat the coamings. My recollection is that others on the list have
used different sealants for this. I would appreciate any
recommendations.

Thanks, Pete H.