[Public-list] cockpit coamings

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue May 29 20:38:52 PDT 2007

The Rochets wrote:
> You're right, George--it's a large area for caulking, and the idea of
> using neoprene gasket material to caulk around the edges is very
> appealing. However, I am having trouble finding such material in my
> area. Is there any reason why polysulfide could not be used to caulk
> just around the edges instead of over the whole contact area?

I don't know how well that will work.  I'd be afraid it would squeeze
out.  I also found that using regular caulk (I think I used BoatLife the
first time I removed and replaced the coamings) made it rather difficult
to remove the second time.

I was able to get a piece of 2" wide by, hmmm... I think it was 1/16"
thick, with adhesive on one side by calling a place in the yellow pages.
  In the Baltimore area, there were quite a few listings under
"Gaskets," but that may be because of the industry in the area.  I do
know that I paid significantly more than Bud Dolber (who gave me the
idea), but the location I used was convenient between work and home.

> Still on cockpit coamings. I just bought a boat with coamings that
> need to be recoated. I believe the original coating (or what is left
> of it) is Cetol. Apart from sanding, can Cetol be removed with any
> ordinary varnish remover?

I recommend using a heat gun and scraper.  Alcohol (use stove alcohol
rather than the good stuff) will soften it.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.
                'The Middle' by Ogden Nash