[Public-List] Owners was Canaries, Part 2

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 23 15:08:46 PST 2007

Gord wrote  "I am also resolved that while I want to go to sea again, next time it will be in my own boat and with a little time to enjoy it!"

Amen

A couple side stories.
*   One of the schooner owners aboard was changing the oil prior to departure.  The owner stopped him and gave explicit instructions (all wrong).  The man changing the oil owns one of the top foreign/exotic car repair shops in the Washington region.  After the trip and as we were jumping ship he left the owner a note reminding him to change the oil before making the trans-Atlantic leg.
*   I was securing his spinnaker poles to the pulpit, set up for twin genoas, and he wanted me to use 1/8 trash nylon as slings.  I used 3/8 three strand - spliced.
*   "Watch out for that fishing boat, he is wandering all over the place", called up from the nav station.  "David, we are watching it and it is a cargo ship.  We can see his range lights and green, he will pass us two miles away."    From below "OK, but keep an eye on the fishing boat."    This took place 300 miles from land with perfect visibility and we were also watching the same radar picture.

I have sympathy for the folks that do deliveries for a living.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Mark Twain