[Public-List] Canaries, Part2

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Nov 24 10:09:42 PST 2007

There are humorous stories from trip too...

We were stuck in a little marina in White Plains NY just below the Tappan
Zee Bridge for several days getting the engine repaired.  A waitress at the
marina bar took us on as a cause and was driving us all over getting parts
etc.  We decided to thank her by having her aboard one night for a dinner.
I distinctly remember what I was doing when she uttered what I am about to
relate... I was just raising a spoonful of peas to my mouth when she said 'I
have been celibate for nearly six months and I think that is about long
enough'.  All three of us froze in the act of eating.  I saw each of
shooting glances around trying to figure who she was talking to.

It was the owner.  Conversation resumed like nothing had happened. At her
suggestion we went to pub with live music after we ate.  Once there my buddy
and I were left at the bar drinking beer while our benefactor and the owner
danced.  The girl behind the bar said to us 'looks like you guys are walking
home tonight'.  Things indeed seem to be moving along.  But, the owner, who
was married, managed to turn her offer down in such a skilled manner that
she was still willing to drive us around for the remaining time we were
stuck there.  I thought he had done the honourable thing; my buddy thought
the owner behaved himself only because he knew we'd squeal on him when we
got home.

Another adventure.

We were told that if we went for a walk we should head south from the marina
gate but never walk north, because that was the direction of the bad part of
town.  Naturally being innocent Canadians we went north.

We found a pub full of people of all ages dancing and laughing; as soon as
we went in people recognized us as the 'unfortunate Canadians with the bust
engine'.  We were the only white guys in the place.  Nobody would let us
spend any money and we had a terrific time.  When it was time to leave two
guys our age volunteered to walk back to the marina with us.  We talked and
laughed all the way back. At the gate they said 'we can't go in.   We hope
to see you some time but please don't walk up that way alone ever again.

Yikes, another close call??