[Public-List] furling New Main Sail

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 27 08:14:19 PST 2007

Hi Gord,

  What type of main sail did you order?  Who was the manufacturer?

  Michael
Gordon Laco <mainstay at csolve.net> wrote:
  In my Tom Taylor Co days we sold the American 'Cruising Design' furler that
operated the same way... Integral halyard with no top swivel. It worked OK
on small boats but people used to complain that they could not get enough
halyard tension on it. CD came up with a 4:1 tackle to haul down on the
tack of the headsail in an attempt to let people put on appropriate tension,
but that ended up a bit of a pickle with the tail of the tackle coming off
and getting into the furling line spool. We started offering a velcro
fastened sheath to keep the tackle contained... But that was starting to get
complicated - band aids on top of band aids...

On a happier note, I finally ordered a new mainsail yesterday. Nice
Christmas present to myself...

Gord #426