[Public-List] furling

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 27 09:26:50 PST 2007

One more thing to consider.   Most people tend to put too much tension on the halyard when they are using roller furling.  This especially applies to units with a rotating upper swivel.  When over tensioned the upper swivel tends to bind on the extrusion and can damage the forestay.  From what riggers have told me the tension should only be enough to get rid of the wrinkles.  The extrusion gives you a smooth luff so there is no need to stretch things.

My technique is to raise the sail fully without attaching the tack shackle, then use a pennant to pull the tack down till the wrinkles go away.  No winch required.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Mark Twain