[Public-List] Lagos, Portugal

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 3 03:25:34 PDT 2007

We are in Lagos and getting ready to sail for the Canary Islands.  I´m using a hotel computer.

The flight over was uneventful, but long - cheap fares have layovers.  Lisbon was interesting and has one of the best maritime museums I've seen in a long time.  Remember Portugal was responsible for the age of exploration.  Prince Henry, the Navigator, pulled together the best:ship builders, navigators, cartographers, etc in Europe and put together a school (think tank).  Well before Columbus, he had ships traveling around Africa and was setting his sights on the Western Atlantic.  A treaty with Spain slowed his push toward the Americas.  We pretty much wandered through Lisbon and then drove to Lagos.  We will play tourist today and move on board tomorrow.

The weather is clear, sunny, temps in the upper 70's with good wind.  This is going to be a good trip.

A side note for all "senior citizens" - most museums are free or half price.

Jim and Sandy

S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.

George C. Marshall