[Public-List] Yanmar, Volvo, Vetus, Universal, Westerbeke etc etc

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 27 06:48:35 PDT 2007

Derrick:
I don't think anyone has mentioned that you might want to consider parts
distribution if you are travelling. Kubota and Yanmar use small diesels
in lawn and garden equipment sold around the world, so the parts may be
able to be found through dealers that are non-marine. With some , like
Westerbeke, Volvo,  and Universal, you are with their marine dealership
connections.
    A good point was to install things yourself, but remember that
includes changing the whole system - instrument panel, wiring, fuel
tank, cutlass bearing and holder for a larger prop shaft, new prop since
diesels turn the opposite direction from A4s, stern tube, fuel tank(s),
fuel lines, fuel return, fuel filters, and making a bed to fit if you
use a Yanmar. Best estimate I have from an experienced mechanic who has
done several Alberg 30s with Yanmars is 60 man hours when you have done
it before, already know how to set the angle needed for the bed,  and
meet no problems. That is where the labour bill comes in. Also remember
the cost for all the extra parts listed above that are not included with
the motor. These often amount to half again the cost of the motor. The
last kicker is tax if you  have a sales tax or equivalent. Here that is 14%.
Don