[Public-List] Yanmar, Volvo, Vetus, Universal, Westerbeke etc etc

dickdurk at atlanticbb.net dickdurk at atlanticbb.net
Sat Oct 27 08:06:34 PDT 2007

Gary Barker <eyewander at mac.com> wrote:

<snip>
>do you have a diesel and does
>the same
> thing work with the smell of kerosene or diesel?
<snip>

Gary

Well, that opened up a can of worms. I can't find my
original source, but the Material Safety Data Sheets I
have here mention Central Nervous System shutdown for
benzene.

Using that standard, High sulfur diesel-yes. Low sulfur
diesel-no. Kerosene gets a high levels of
inhalation=narcosis. I'll put that down as maybe.

These are refinery data sheets (Koch, Sunoco, etc.) that
have no web address references, but a Google search gts
one all kinds of info. Including lawyers for exposure
lawsuits. Who'd a thunk it?

I have a Diesel 2QM 15 (Yanmar). HP is appropriate for my
tastes. The GM 18 (the QM's replacement, although neither
one is made any more) had interesting specs. The cylinder
bore and piston stroke are the same. They got the increase
in HP by bumping up the test RPM a few hundred. I thought
that was a bit...disingenious. Buyer beware and all that.

MichaelGrosh