[Public-List] Rudder Post leak

Gary Barker eyewander at mac.com
Tue Sep 11 17:34:52 PDT 2007

It is not a good feeling.  Getting on the boat and seeing the floor
boards of the sole floating.  The batteries were worn down because
the automatic bulge pump switch had cycled too much.  I got pumped
out, but every day when I checked I was taking on 6-9inches of water
in the bilge.   At first I thought it was the stuffing box and
cutlass bearing.  Finally saw where it was coming from- a steady seep
from where the rudder shaft goes through.  Has anyone ever had a lead
from the rudderpost?  I have access somewhat through a hatch on the
floor of the cockpit, if I were a midget contortionist.  How else do
you go about fixing a leak from that place?  Has anyone had a similar
problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary Barker
"Rune" #307