[Public-List] Universal oil filter & 3-20B engines

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Thu Sep 27 16:09:18 PDT 2007

Greetings,

    My Universal (new about 7 yrs ago) oil filter requires a Universal part
($11) OR a Fram filter which is the same as the one I use on the Honda
Civic.  Yes, I know there are differences in oil filter quality, but in my
lifetime it's not going to make a difference to use the Fram, I'm sure.
Changing oil filters once a year  with the low hours most of our engines put
out during that time isn't exactly the intensive use that I would want the
use the best filter on.

    I don't know about changes in filter sizes over the years.
Westerbeke has model history at
http://www.westerbeke.com/pdfs/model_history.pdf

The engine I have is the M3-20B. It's only 20 hp, not 28!  An adequate size,
though.  See details at
http://www.westerbeke.com/products/diesel_engine_detail.cfm?eng=18

Another word:  IMHO it's a shame they haven't quite got it together yet
with the manuals.  New editions came out a few years ago, which, believe it
or not, are vastly improved over the old.  Regretably, they still leave out
some really obvious information and the troubleshooting sections have been--
for me, so far-- minimally helpful.  Ah, well.

These engines do, generally, have good reputations and I'd certainly prefer
them any day over a gas engine (not to offend our legions of faithful A-30
devotees too much!).

Randy Katz
Bellingham/Seattle