[Public-List] rudderpost leak

brooks.glenn at comcast.net brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 19:15:48 PDT 2007

HI,

I pulled my rudder last year an cut out the deck to get at the leaking bronze rudder gland that is fiberglassed into the inside of the hull.  Once the deck was opened up the bronze tail piece that sticks into the fiberglassed area lifted out of the hull with little more than fingerpressure.  down inside was a cavity about the size of a baseball- maybe a bit smaller, formed by the concave (?) shape of the hull and the F/G reinforcement mounting that was built around the bronze mounting. The builders used plumbers putty to seal the rudder tube and the bottom of the bronze fitting, then glassed the fitting into place. I found the putty was extremely dessicated and hard - it had no oil left after all these years and of course was allowing water to come in through the rudder post, up through the cracks in the putty, and flow out through the glass and the flutted bronze shaft post.  So I ground out the old glass, laid the fitting back in with 5200 and reglassed.

No more leak!

I've got the same indent in the hull, but the water was coming through the putty.

glenn b
Dolce
From: JohnI <a30blueteal at gmail.com>