[Public-List] Silent Running acoustic coating

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Sep 14 03:47:55 PDT 2007

Good morning -

Unfortunately the only thing that really damps engine noise is mass; lead
combined with sound absorbing insulation.  No painted on compound will have
a measurable effect on the reduction of noise.

Lead is required to stop the deeper sound; the insulation stops the higher
sounds.  Whatever you do the knock of the diesel will travel through the
fabric of the boat.

The good news is that if you line the motor box with thick sound barrier
incorporating a lead sheet such as used in power cruisers the motor will be
somewhat quieter.  But I can't imagine any paint on coating having much
effect.

Sorry to be so negative...

Gord
#426 Surprise