[Public-List] Permanent mooring for A-30's

Matthew mattwynn at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 5 06:21:52 PDT 2007

HI Hugh,

       My conditions are not unlike yours. My mooring is in Merigomish
Harbour NS in a cove called Black Hall Gut. The mooring is in 17 ft with
a tidal range of 6 ft.
My first mooring was a 45 gal drum of concrete that I picked up with my
1/2 ton at the ready-mix plant owned by a former Nflder. Before pouring
in the concrete I drove 2 pieces of galv conduit through the drum at
right angles. It looked a bit like a water mine. I initiallty used 3/8
galv chain - about 25 feet and fed it through the conduit. I then put on
two 3/8 shackles. At the top I used a shackle, a swivel and a 40"
circumference net buoy. I then attached two 3/4" twisted nylon rodes to
the swivel using half inch shackles through thimbles I spliced on the
end of the rodes. Previously I had used rode to chain without the swivel
but I had a rode twist around the chain and chafe pretty well through. I
then used cod line and bound the two rodes about every 16" back to the
boat to prevent twisting and fouling. I put a float on them as well. On
deck I attached leather for anti-chafe protection where the rodes passed
through the chocks. The two rodes provide redundancy but better still
when I go sailing I attach the dinghy to one rode and then when I'm
ready to leave simply drop the rode holding the big boat.
    The mooring held well but when I lifted it to check 4 years later
the chain was worn very thin at the bottom 6 ft. I replaced chain and
dropped her back and that fall Hurricane Juan blew through - cat 1 by
time it reached us. We had no storm surge like the Atlantic side but did
have winds up to 60 knots clocking from the east to west in about 6
hours. Our worst direction is SE with a reach of about 2 nm. With no
power and darkness we could not see the boat anchored 200 ft in front of
the house. Next morning she lay unscathed.
    I have since changed out my concrete for a railway car wheel because
it seems to suck in to the bottom even better. Also concrete loses over
50% of its weight when immersed in water. (However the metal on the
barrel was still on after 5 years and there was no concrete degradation.
One theory is the lack of air when lying on the bottom in mud.)  I have
also switched to half inch chain for longevity and  have increased
length to about 35' in case of storm surge. You might want longer chain
because of your exposure to storm surges if you are on the windward side
of the 'rock' which is about the only inhabitable side eh.

Good luck

Matthew Wynn
Tazar #424