[Public-List] A rudder question

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:10:52 PDT 2008

The vintage of the boat is important here - the rudders change over the years (the original A30s had wooden ones). Can you get his hull number?Mike Lehman ~~~_/)_/)~~_/)~~~> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:19:27 -0400> From: jbergqui at gmail.com> To: public-list at lists.alberg30.org> Subject: [Public-List] A rudder question> > Folks,> > I spoke with Owen Zeimer yesterday who is a new Alberg owner. He is from> Australia (I think) but lives in the UK (again, I think), and his boat is on> the Chesapeake. He's busy doing some initial-owner maintenance/upgrade type> stuff and he has been talking to me about replacing his motor, which is how> I know him.> > Yesterday he called me and asked a rudder question I did not know the answer> to. He's not able to post on the list right now, so I told him I would ask> the question to the list on his behalf.> > Owen has a rudder which has a cutout aperture. His initial question was for> those of us who have apertures in their rudders (I am not in that group as> my rudder has no aperture), is there some structural member which spans the> rudder from the tiller connection all the way to the bottom pintle? I am not> sure whether his rudder is original or rebuilt and what vintage or hull #> his boat is.> > As a secondary question, his problem is that in way of the aperture there is> apparently a crack in the rudder such that if he hangs on it, the rudder> flexes significantly in way of this crack. He is concerned about the> rudder's structural integrity and wonders if anybody has done a repair for a> problem of this type. As a follow-on to this, has anybody ever built a new> rudder? I thought I read somewhere a web page about rebuilding an Alberg> rudder, but I can't remember where and was unable to find it again. George,> if htere is a page about this could you send a link?> > Owen is very appreciative of any suggestions list readers may have on this> subject.> > Thanks!> > J Bergquist> _______________________________________________> These businesses support your Association:> http://www.alberg30.org/store/A30supporters.html> Please support them.> _______________________________________________> Public-List mailing list> Public-List at lists.alberg30.org> http://lists.alberg30.org/listinfo.cgi/public-list-alberg30.org