[Public-List] Bilge pump question

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 02:47:25 PDT 2008

> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:01:32 -0700> From: rochet at shaw.ca> To: public-list at lists.alberg30.org> Subject: [Public-List] Bilge pump question> > I am planning to install an electrical bilge pump to supplement the > manual Whale Gusher 10 that came with the boat.> > I do not like holes in the hull (even above the waterline) and I am > wondering if there is any safe way to connect the electrical pump's > outlet hose to the manual pump's outlet hose (just above its thru- > hull), so I can get by with the existing thru-hull?> > Thank you for any suggestions.> > Bernard Rochet> Sunswept 608

Good day Bernard,

Others may have a different opinion but what I suggest is that you attach the electric bilge pump discharge directly to the through hull fitting for the Gusher.  You don't say where your Gusher is located but I would direct the discharge from it either overboard or into the cockpit via an extended (if necessary) flexible discharge hose.  The reason that I would do it this way is that you will probably use the electric pump more often than the Gusher.  But if you have to use the Gusher at the same time as the electric pump it would help to have seperate discharge lines since the through hull will only pass a certain maximum gal/min and may not be able to cope with the combined discharge of the two pumps.  Another, but in my opinion less desireable, solution would be to increase the size of the present through hull and "T" the electric pump discharge into the Gusher discharge.  In this case you would need to install adapters to connect the different sizes of discharge hoses with the bigger through hull.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Hugh McCormack