[Public-List] Holding tanks

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 07:54:47 PDT 2008

Don said
"Any type of flexible hose that contains standing sewage will be permeated by the sewage and cause odors.
Therefore whenever possible use schedule 40 PVC (not ABS its too brittle) and not flexible hose, and always use PVC
for all lines that will hold standing sewage. Keep flexible hose runs as short as possible.
Use PVC hose barbs for tanks fittings and not maralon, nylon etc. as they will also be permeated over time."

I have found schedule 40 and glue joints also act up.  I prefer schedule 80 with threaded connections.  As to maralon 1 1/2 hose barbs, they are not tight enough a fit.  For sanitation you want to have to soften the hose (heat gun, hair dryer or boiling water) to insure a leak proof joint.  Minor weepage is almost acceptable with a sea water connection.  Sewage weepage on the other hand..............
I will add that the entire rig must remain flexible.  A holding tank set up using all pipe will suffer from vibration and flexing.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT35

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
George S. Patton