[Public-List] Measurements for registration

David Fisher alberg-440 at live.com.au
Mon Apr 14 13:44:28 PDT 2008

Hi All.  I'm currently working my way through the bureaucratic forest of boat registration here in Oz.  To register for international travel I need either to supply a builder's certificate, which I don't have, or a report listing detailed measurements of the vessel.  Most figures are simple enough and easily found, however there are some which are unfamiliar to me; I hope that other Albergers may be able to help out.

Taken from the AMSA website, the measurements in question are:

Tonnage length
The tonnage length of a ship is either
(a) a length equal to 96 per cent of the total length of the ship measured on a waterline that is at a distance,
from the top of the keel, equal to 85 per cent of the least moulded depth of the ship; or
(b) if the length of the ship measured from the foreside of the stem to the axis of the ruder stock on that
waterline is greater than the length ascertained in accordance with paragraph (a) - that greater length.

Moulded depth amidships
This is the vertical distance measured (to two decimal places) from the top of the keel to the top of the freeboard
deck beam at side amidships. (Amidships means the vertical plane situated at the middle of the length of the
ship and at right angles to the centre line plane of the ship).
• In the case of a wooden ship or composite ship the top of the keel is the lower edge of the keel rabbet.
• In the case of a ship in which the form at the lower part of the midship section is of a hollow character, or if
thick garboards are fitted, the top of the keel is the point where the line of the flat of the bottom continued
inwards cuts the side of the keel of the ship.
• In the case of a ship having rounded gunwales the top of the freeboard deck beam at side is the point of
intersection of the moulded lines of the deck and of the side, the moulded lines being treated as extending as
tough the gunwale were of angular design.
• In the case of a ship having stepped freeboard deck, the raised part of which extends over amidships, the
tope of the freeboard deck beam at side is the point of intersection of amidships and of a line of reference
extending from the top of the freeboard deck beam at side at the lower part of the deck along a line parallel to
the raised part.

If anyone can help me either with figuring these out, or if you have values for the Alberg 30 already, please let me know.

Cheers,
David
Kalitsah 440
Sydney