[Public-List] Measurements for registration

Meinhold, Michael J. MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Apr 15 11:27:17 PDT 2008

I have PDF of the lines plan (contact me offline if you would like it)
and was able to make some measurements.

The rules seem a lot like the US tax code, and are there for the same
reason - to maximize income with a modicum of fairness. Don't get hung
up on the measurement being at a strange waterline.

Least Moulded Depth -  to the lowest point on the sheer to the "top of
the keel".

Now later on they say "In the case of a wooden ship or composite ship
the top of the keel is the lower edge of the keel rabbet". The keel
rabbet being cutout where the iron keel is.
I take this to mean the lower corner of the top of the rabbet. The idea
is that powerboat or ship keel is not to figure into this calculation.
This 'wooden or composite' exemption helps us out.
I measure this as 6.30 feet. 85% of this is 5.36 feet.
The waterline 5.36 feet above the top if the keel is 27.71 feet. 96% of
this 26.60 feet.
 (b) is a shorter length so (a) applies.  The tonnage length is 26.60
feet.

I measure the moulded depth amidships to be 6.40 feet.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272