[Public-List] Anodizng aluminum parts

Lee Hines lhines at chustz.com
Tue Apr 22 05:48:11 PDT 2008

   In the Hydrographic Survey business we once used plexiglas for
   underwater "windows" so as to allow the acoustic signals to pass
   through but to prevent water from shooting up into the transducer well
   while underway. We left specially placed holes in the glass to allow
   water to enter but prevented bubbles from entering. The problem with
   the plexiglas was that it shattered easily from either over tightening
   retaining screws, impact or just vibration over time. We changed to
   lexan and the problems went away. If we encountered a direct hit on
   the lexan heaving up and settling down on the bottom then it would
   fail but only in this extreme case. When thinking about using it for
   windows I would think that it would be superior to plexiglas for its
   ability to withstand impact and flexing that would make the plexiglas
   shatter. A definite advantage should you be in rough water wanting all
   things to remain the same as they were when you left. I do not know of
   any negative when comparing the lexan to plexiglas maybe others do.
   My thoughts,
   Lee Hines
   George Dinwiddie wrote:

Bruno & Elyse,

I think the frames are already clear anodized.  If you buff them,
they'll certainly corrode much more.  Unless they look really bad, I
would leave them be.

Personally, I prefer to leave the windows as plexiglas.  There are pros
and cons to both Plexiglas and Lexan.  Plexiglass is cheaper, has worked
well for many years, and is better than it was when the boat was built.

You might find this article useful:
[1]http://alberg30.org/maintenance/HullDeck/Portlights/

  - George

Elyse Pastor wrote:

Our first job once we get our A30 delivered to us will be painting the
interior and changing all 4 glass windows as they are cracked (I consider
replacing them with lexan).
Since I will have to remove all alu frames of the windows, I was considering
to anodize them and color them bronze or gold like.
Here my question:
Has anyone of you out there done that and what is the experience? Any
negative aspects about corrosion etc?
All I know is that the surface of the aluminum becomes much harder, that it
is used on military equipment and that it really looks pretty.
Thanks
Bruno & Elyse
HERON #297