[Public-List] Anodizng aluminum parts

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 10:05:58 PDT 2008

Anodizing is good stuff and will protect aluminum from corrosion. As george
pointed out, our portlight frames were clear anodized originally. Not only
military hardware but a lot of boat parts (spars, hardware, etc...) are
anodized.

One problem is that once you start to scratch & scuff anodizing, then the
areas of raw material left exposed will corrode even faster.

Another problem is that once something has been anodized, it is extremely
difficult to re-anodize because ALL of the old anodizing must be removed
before you can re-anodize the part.

You can get parts gold anodized. This is fairly common. But having a part
that was once anodized re-anodized is not very easy to do and I think you're
better off having a new part made than trying to re-anodize a previously
anodized part.

That's my understanding. I could be wrong.

Later,

J Bergquist