[Public-List] new winches

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 29 16:41:50 PDT 2008

JB. I, Ed Schroeder, live in Chicago and am the Maintenance Manager for the Alberg 30, "Emotional Rescue", with Sail Chicago.

J Bergquist <jbergqui at gmail.com> wrote:  The base I built myself using molds that Phil Beigel loaned me and were
built originally by Bruce Rankin. This past winter I made a presentation at
the maintenance seminar about building these bases using fiberglass,
polyester resin, polyester gelcoat, and vacuum bagging.

The coaming box I cut out using a template that Phil loaned me together with
the molds. I cut it out using layout lines that I scribed on the coamings
based on the dimensions of the base and reasonable clearances. I rounded
over the edges with a laminate trimmer and a 1/4" roundover bit. The winch
base came out of the mold ready to go except for some small delaminated
areas where the radius was very tight. These I backfilled with extra
gelcoat. I wound up painting the bases with interlux brightside because I
just couldn't quite get the gelcoat finish to my liking. I had to rout a 1"
cove into the bottom inside corner of the winch bases to accomodate the 1/4
round molding at the outside base of the coaming. For this I used a 1" core
box bit and a 2 hp router. It was a messy (and very itchy) routing job.

The coaming boxes are large enough for a winch handle. So far I have used
them for storing these as well as handbearing compass, small notebook,
grease pencil, sunscreen, and other sundries needed in the cockpit while
sailing.

Where are you located? If you want to build some winch bases using the
molds, that could possibly be arranged but John M is in line first and we
have to clear it with Phil since he's the custodian of the molds.